How to pose questions using the PICO(T) approach or related models?
This unit will provide students with the theoretical knowledge and tools required to evaluate various types of evidence, evaluate the standards of evidence and demonstrate its application to inform decision-making and professional interventions in clinical practice, education and management. In this unit, the value and applicability of evidence-based practice in nursing care, the steps of evidencebased practice and critical analysis of available current evidence will be explicitly explored.
Unit Learning Outcomes (ULOs)
Students who successfully complete this unit are expected to be able to:
• understand the rationale for evidence-based practice (3);
• acquire the skills to carry out a meta-analysis (4);
• develop the ability to appraise a systematic review of evidence-based practice (3);
• access and appraise systematic review databases, including the Cochrane Database of
• Systematic Review and Joanna Briggs Institute for Evidence Based Practice (3 & 4);
• utilise evidence-based practice to inform clinical practice (4);
• gain an understanding of the key concepts associated with helping individuals recover from
• acute illness in order to promote consumer self-determination and social connectedness (3 & 4);
• utilise culturally sensitive evidence-based practice in various cultural groups, including
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander, individuals who speak English as a second language, and new migrants (5);
• develop protocol in systematic review (3 & 4). Overview of the content Section One: Concept of Evidence-based practice (EBP) in nursing
• What is Evidence-based practice in nursing?
• What are the key steps of EBP? Section Two: Making a case for EBP
• How to formulate searchable and answerable questions relating to nursing practice?
• How to pose questions using the PICO(T) approach or related models? Section Three: Finding and appraising relevant evidence
• Critically appraise the evidence in knowledge for clinical decision making
• Quantitative research
• Quantitative research
• Appraise validity of evidence
• Hierarchy of evidence Section Four: Applying and assessing relevant evidence
• Implement evidence in clinical settings
• Systematic review and clinical practice guidelines
• Barriers and Enablers of EBP
• Provide evidence that enhances consumers’ self-determination and social connectedness
• Demonstrate cultural awareness of evidence-based practice
• Advancing optimal nursing care
What is Evidence-based practice? Clarifying the unit and assessment tasks Group discussions and activities on:
– What do you think about Evidence?
– Why do you do what you do each day?
Read carefully the unit outline and assessment information Week 2 Why Evidence is important?
The key steps of EBP How to formulate a PICO/T question? Group activities and discussions on:
– Why does EBP matter to you?
– Technology and EBP
– Ask the burning clinical
Question- Identify an aspect of nursing that you believe could be improved through EBP and explain how evidence could be used to improve them.
– PICO/T question
Why EBP is important in healthcare practice?
What is the best and the most relevant evidence?
Hierarchy of evidence Explore the concept of searching for evidence Group activities and discussions on:
– How is evidence relevant to the practice of nursing?
– what distinguishes EBP from other forms of practice?