How do FERPA and HIPAA affect school health privacy?
Create a 6–8-slide PowerPoint presentation for a group of school nurses, which addresses the role of the school nurse in managing the unique health concerns of teenagers while adhering to privacy laws.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
- Competency 1: Explain the effect of health care policies, legislation, and legal issues on health care delivery and patient outcomes.
- Explain the laws that relate to adolescent safety and health privacy in a school setting.
- Explain how the privacy laws affect schools, students, and school nurses.
- Competency 3: Apply professional nursing ethical standards and principles to the decision-making process.
- Describe health and wellness issues specific to the adolescent population.
- Recommend evidence-based ethical strategies relating to health and wellness privacy communication by the school nurse.
- Competency 4: Communicate in a manner that is consistent with expectations of nursing professionals.
- Write content clearly and logically, with correct use of grammar, punctuation, and mechanics.
- Correctly format citations and references using APA style.
School nurses confront numerous legal issues in their daily work. It is important to know the standards of nursing practice specific to the state of licensure, as well as legal limitations and responsibilities of the school nurse.