What type of coping strategy should be implemented—emotion-focused coping or problem-directed coping?
Choose one situation to evaluate and answer the following questions:
- Does this represent chronic or acute stress?
- What type of response might the body and brain be experiencing to manage the stressor?
- What would be the goal for coping with this stress? (eliminate, reduce, tolerate)
- What type of coping strategy should be implemented—emotion-focused coping or problem-directed coping? How would the individual employ this approach? In other words, using this type of coping strategy, what could he or she do to cope with the stressor? Give 2 examples.
- Write 2 “coping self-statements” the individual might make in response to this stressor. You will find some examples of coping self-statements in your textbook.
- What are some of the potential long-term impacts on this individual’s health if he or she does not find a way to cope with this stressor?