Read and respond to the questions under Assignment in Learning Exercise 20.7 How Will You Plan This Busy Morning? (LRMF p.687-690).
· Decide which patients you will assign to the LVN/LPN, NAP and yourself.
· Be sure to include assessments, procedures and basic care needs.
· Determine what you will do if a patient is admitted to your team.
· Explain the rationale for all of your patient assignments.
· Refer to the sample acuity levels provided to assist in determining patient needs and staffing.
Read and respond to the questions under Learning Exercise 23.13 Using Report Cards to Compare Health Care Institutions (LRMF p.809).
· Go to the Healthgrades website ( www.healthgrades.com ).
· Review the star ratings for the three hospitals closest to where you live in terms of cardiac, orthopedic, maternity, pulmonary, and transplant care.
· Review their patient safety ratings compared to other hospitals in the area as well as national averages.
· Write a summary of your thoughts explaining where you would and would not want to be treated for specific healthcare problems.
· Consider whether or not most patients use the information that is available to them through the report card.
· Explain why or why not and what nurses could do to help educate the public about the availability of health care report cards.