Use this document to complete the evaluation table requirement of the Module 4 Assessment, Evidence-Based Project, Part 3A: Critical Appraisal of Research
Full APA formatted citation of selected article.
Evidence Level *
(I, II, or III)
Describe the theoretical basis for the study (If there is not one mentioned in the article, say that here).**
Describe the design and how the study was carried out (In detail, including inclusion/exclusion criteria).
The number and characteristics of
patients, attrition rate, etc.
Major Variables Studied
List and define dependent and independent variables
Identify primary statistics used to answer clinical questions (You need to list the actual tests done).
Data Analysis Statistical or
(You need to enter the actual numbers determined by the statistical tests or qualitative data).
Findings and Recommendations
General findings and recommendations of the research
Appraisal and Study Quality
Describe the general worth of this research to practice.
What are the strengths and limitations of study?
What are the risks associated with implementation of the suggested practices or processes detailed in the research?
What is the feasibility of use in your practice?
* These levels are from the Johns Hopkins Nursing Evidence-Based Practice: Evidence Level and Quality Guide
· Level I
Experimental, randomized controlled trial (RCT), systematic review RTCs with or without meta-analysis
· Level II
Quasi-experimental studies, systematic review of a combination of RCTs and quasi-experimental studies, or quasi-experimental studies only, with or without meta-analysis
· Level III
Nonexperimental, systematic review of RCTs, quasi-experimental with/without meta-analysis, qualitative, qualitative systematic review with/without meta-synthesis
· Level IV
Respected authorities’ opinions, nationally recognized expert committee/consensus panel reports based on scientific evidence
· Level V
Literature reviews, quality improvement, program evaluation, financial evaluation, case reports, nationally recognized expert(s) opinion based on experiential evidence
**Note on Conceptual Framework
· The following information is from Walden academic guides which helps explain conceptual frameworks and the reasons they are used in research. Here is the link https://academicguides.waldenu.edu/library/conceptualframework
· Researchers create theoretical and conceptual frameworks that include a philosophical and methodological model to help design their work. A formal theory provides context for the outcome of the events conducted in the research. The data collection and analysis are also based on the theoretical and conceptual framework.
· As stated by Grant and Osanloo (2014), “Without a theoretical framework, the structure and vision for a study is unclear, much like a house that cannot be constructed without a blueprint. By contrast, a research plan that contains a theoretical framework allows the dissertation study to be strong and structured with an organized flow from one chapter to the next.”
· Theoretical and conceptual frameworks provide evidence of academic standards and procedure. They also offer an explanation of why the study is pertinent and how the researcher expects to fill the gap in the literature.
· Literature does not always clearly delineate between a theoretical or conceptual framework. With that being said, there are slight differences between the two.
The Johns Hopkins Hospital/Johns Hopkins University (n.d.). Johns Hopkins nursing evidence-based practice: appendix C: evidence level and quality guide. https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/evidence-based-practice/_docs/appendix_c_evidence_level_quality_guide.pdf
Grant, C., & Osanloo, A. (2014). Understanding, selecting, and integrating a theoretical framework in dissertation research: Creating the blueprint for your house. Administrative Issues Journal: Education, Practice, and Research, 4(2), 12-26.
Walden University Academic Guides (n.d.). Conceptual & theoretical frameworks overview. https://academicguides.waldenu.edu/library/conceptualframework
Critical Appraisal Tool Worksheet Template
© 2021 Walden University, LLC 2