Identify and reflect upon factors that contribute to effective and ineffective interpersonal and inter and intra professional communication and the implications for patient safety
Students will select one only of the two clinical scenarios provided. The task requires students to Identify and discuss the therapeutic communication required for the scenario. Students will also apply the communication skills, strategies and approaches that best support therapeutic communication between the nurse, patient and family.
1. Apply a range of communication theories and concepts and their application in nursing practice.
2. Apply therapeutic communication knowledge to case studies.
3. Identify and reflect upon factors that contribute to effective and ineffective interpersonal and inter and intra professional communication and the implications for patient safety.
4. Use and reflect on emerging critical thinking, digital literacy and health literacy using correct academic writing skills.
This is the outline of the content to be discussed in your essay. You will identify to the reader the key information that will be provided in your assignment, inclusive of application of the interpersonal communication strategies and skills, based on your current level of knowledge and understanding that will help to achieve therapeutic communication between the participants. Consider the relevant concept of care for the scenario in your application. Reference to the communication tool that would contribute to achieving effective intra-professional communication is also sought.
Here you will provide a deeper explanation of the outlined information from your introduction.
- Provide an analysis of the chosen scenario showing where there is ineffective communication between the nurse and patient.
- Explain the concept of care that is relevant to the chosen scenario and how it contributes to achieving effective therapeutic communication.
- Explain the strategies, skills and approaches that best support therapeutic communication between the nurse, patient and family in the chosen scenario for best patient outcomes.
- Reflect on your emerging health literacy skills relative to the case study.
You will draw upon scholarly literature (references) to support your developed knowledge and understanding of the scenario and your analysis and application of strategies, skills and approaches.
This is the summation of your assignment, what you have discussed and therefore what you have concluded. It is a brief overview of information discussed and your perspective on it, supported by literature to bring impact to your conclusion
You are commencing an evening shift as a graduate registered nurse (GRN) in an Aged Care Facility. You have just received patient handover from the staff on the morning shift. One of your patients, Mrs Pamela Jones, is an elderly woman aged 78 who has had some episodes of confusion and disorientation in the facility, particularly with finding her bed. She is crying softly and is visibly upset. As you approach to assist her, she becomes frustrated about her “failing memory” and asks for the nurse who has cared for her today to come immediately to help her, and pushes you away. Her son arrives at that moment and asks what has happened as he sees his mother crying. He looks at you, stating loudly, “Are you the nurse? What has happened? I have not seen her this upset before?”