Explain two (2) important points/topics you will need to include in the patient’s preparation for discharge to aid healing and prevent further illness
Mr Robert Lalara, HRN: 123456, DOB: 20/01/1978
Robert is a 42 year old Indigenous man from a remote community. He has been admitted to the CDU medical ward with chest pain and a ‘racing heart’. His ECG shows Atrial Fibrillation (AF).
Robert lives in a single-story home with his wife, 4 children and 2 grandchildren. He is independent with his cares. He has an extensive past medical history including: T2DM, smoker (10 per day), HTN, hyperlipidaemia, rheumatic heart disease and mitral valve regurgitation. No known drug allergies (NKDA).
Task 1: Consider The Patient
Based on the case scenario and in grammatically correct sentences:
• Define the patient’s current medical condition/disease.
• Explain the pathophysiology of the disease.
• Discuss how the current presentation relates to the patients past medical history?
Task 2: Care Plan
Based solely on the handover you have received and using the template provided, complete a nursing care plan for your chosen patient. Your plan must address the physical, functional and psychosocial aspects of care.
Three (3) nursing problems have been provided for you. For each nursing problem on your care plan you need to complete the following sections:
• What it is related to?
• Goal of care
• Rationales for interventions
Task 3: Patient Education
An important aspect of nursing practice is to effectively and succinctly communicate relevan information related to ongoing disease management or prevention of reinfection or deterioration on discharge.
Patient education and discharge planning starts on admission and you need to provide your patient with education during your shift in preparation for discharge home.
• Explain two (2) important points/topics you will need to include in the patient’s preparation for discharge to aid healing and prevent further illness. For each education point identified provide:
• One (1) strategy to assist the patient to implement the education into their daily routine.
Task 4: Medication
Choose two (2) medications that your patient has been prescribed (one (1) from their new medications list and one (1) from their usual medications list) and discuss the following:
How does the medication work?
Why has your patient been prescribed this medication?
Discuss any side effects that could affect the patient