Discuss salient elements that inform your project question: theory, current research, nursing practice, and specialty knowledge
Developing an Evidence-Based Practice (EBP) Project Question
Consider issues related to your nursing practice. What stands out to you about your specialty area? What questions or concerns do you think are especially in need of attention? Why? How would you most like to contribute to the knowledge base of your profession?
The EBP Project provides a significant opportunity for furthering the nursing profession. Formulating a specific, applicable question is a necessary first step for developing your project. The question defines the focus of the EBP Project and guides your selection of research methods and tools. Think about aspects of your specialty area and begin to formulate a question that relates to your nursing practice.
The primary purpose of this Discussion is to provide a forum in which you and your colleagues can support each other in cultivating a practice-related question.
- Develop your EBP Project question using the PICO (patient group, issue or intervention, comparison, outcome) method as described in Chapter 2 of Clinical Research for the Doctor of Nursing Practice (p. 29) and other resources. Depending on your specialty area, you may modify the PICO method as necessary to be appropriate for your target population.
- Begin to complete the “Literature Review Matrix,” reviewing at least four to six research articles relevant to your specialty area and your EBP Project question. Note any areas of difficulty that you encounter, as well as any strategies or insights that might be beneficial to others.
- Reflect on the information presented in the McCurry, Revell, and Roy article listed in the Learning Resources.
- What questions or concerns, if any, do you have about how to develop your project question and/or expand your expertise in your specialty area?
Post a cohesive scholarly response that addresses the following:
1) Share your project question, as you have developed it thus far (Write the questions exactly as the PIICOT Template provided in the attached file area).
2) Discuss salient elements that inform your project question: theory, current research, nursing practice, and specialty knowledge.
3) Pose any questions or concerns you may have related to developing your project question or literature review. You may also include any other issues related to expanding your expertise within your specialty area.