Briefly critically analyse what the national competency standard means to your scope of practice as a nursing student.
Length: 1000 words
Due date: This is due on the Friday of the following week after completion of PEP thus it will differ for students undertaking different PEP blocks.
In addition to completing the required clinical learning outcomes on the PEPR, students will select three NMBA National competency standards for the registered nurse (2006) and describe and reflect on a nursing intervention, which exemplifies each of those national competency standards.
1. Choose your national competency standards
They need to be in separate domains i.e. one from 3 of the 4 domains below
• Professional practice
• Critical thinking and analysis
• Provision and coordination of care
• Collaborative and therapeutic practice
• Domain Professional practice has 3 sub clauses 1.2, 1.2 and 1.3. Each of these sub classes has several dot points under them.
You have to choose a sub clause not a dot point national competency standard to discuss. For instance for the first domain there are 3 sub-clauses
1.1 Complies with relevant legislation and common law:
1.2 Fulfils the duty of care
1.3 Recognises and responds appropriately to unsafe or unprofessional practice
You would choose one of these rather than the dot points below them.
2. Briefly critically analyse what the national competency standard means to your scope of practice as a nursing student.
3. Choose a skill which you can reflect on – you can discuss why you thought you met it, partially met or could not meet it. Choose sources of information that support your argument
4. Reflect on how your ability to meet, partially meet or not meet this national competency standard has influenced your practice as a nursing student.
Please refer to uploaded file (Marking Rubric)
I completed my clinical placement in the hepatobiliary and Colorectal unit at Salem Medical Center and the PEP Facilitator’s comments:i must reflect on clinical practice and should consider improving my pharmacology and pathophysiology knowledge as this will provide the confidence to lead a successful career as a Registered Nurse In Australia.