Asthma And Stepwise Management Essay
Asthma is a respiratory disorder that affects children and adults. Advanced practice nurses often provide treatment to patients with these disorders. Sometimes patients require immediate treatment making it essential that you recognize and distinguish minor asthma symptoms from serious, life-threatening symptoms. Since symptoms and attacks are often induced by a trigger, advanced practice nurses must also help patients identify their triggers and recommend appropriate management options. Asthma And Stepwise Management Essay. Like many other disorders, there are various approaches to treating and managing care for asthmatic patients depending on individual patient factors. One method that supports the clinical decision-making of drug therapy plans for asthmatic patients is the stepwise approach, which you explore in this Assignment. Asthma And Stepwise Management Essay.
· Consider drugs used to treat asthmatic patients including long-term control and quick relief treatment options for patients. Think about the impact these drugs might have on patients including adults and children.
· Review Chapter 25 of the Arcangelo and Peterson text. Reflect on using the stepwise approach to asthma treatment and management.
· Consider how stepwise management assists health care providers and patients in gaining and maintaining control of the disease. Asthma And Stepwise Management Essay.
What to do:
· Describe long-term control and quick relief treatment options for asthma patients, as well as the impact these drugs might have on patients.
· Explain the stepwise approach to asthma treatment and management.
· Explain how stepwise management assists health care providers and patients in gaining and maintaining control of the disease.
Please pay attention to drug-drug interactions. Asthma And Stepwise Management Essay.
The NLH guidelines for asthma are a good reference.
– This work should have Introduction and conclusion
– This work should have at 4 to 6 current references (Year 2012 and up)
– Use at least 2 references from class Learning Resources Asthma And Stepwise Management Essay
The following Resources are not acceptable:
2. Cdc.gov- nonhealthcare professionals section
Arcangelo, V. P., Peterson, A. M., Wilbur, V., & Reinhold, J. A. (Eds.). (2017). Pharmacotherapeutics for advanced practice: A practical approach (4th ed.). Ambler, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Chapter 18, “Otitis Media and Otitis Externa” (pp. 243-252)
This chapter compares the causes and pathophysiology of two common ear infections—otitis media and otitis externa. It also identifies types of drugs used to treat these ear infections.
- Chapter 24, “Upper Respiratory Infections” (pp. 259-374)
This chapter explores the causes, pathophysiology, and diagnostic criteria of two upper respiratory infections—the common cold and sinusitis—as well as drug therapy for both infections. It also covers monitoring patient response and patient education of drug therapy for these infections. Asthma And Stepwise Management Essay.
- Chapter 25, “Asthma” (pp. 377-392)
This chapter examines the causes, pathophysiology, pharmacogenomics, and diagnostic criteria of asthma. It also outlines suggested drug therapy plans for asthmatic patients.
- Chapter 26, “Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease” (pp. 395-406)
This chapter explains the causes and pathophysiology of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). It also examines the process of selecting, administering, and managing drug therapy for COPD patients.
- Chapter 27, “Bronchitis and Pneumonia” (pp. 407-424)
This chapter begins by examining the causes, pathophysiology, and diagnostic criteria of acute bronchitis, chronic bronchitis, and community-acquired pneumonia. It then explores the process of selecting, administering, and managing drug therapy for patients with bronchitis and pneumonia.
Drugs.com. (2012). Retrieved from http://www.drugs.com/
This website presents a comprehensive review of prescription and over-the-counter drugs including information on common uses and potential side effects. It also provides updates relating to new drugs on the market, support from health professionals, and a drug-drug interactions checker.
National Heart Lung and Blood Institute. (2007). Expert panel report 3 (EPR3): Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of asthma. Retrieved from http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/asthma/asthgdln.htm
This website presents guidelines for diagnosing and managing asthma and outlines treatment